Lola's Victory Garden

Friday, June 18, 2010

Finally! Garden Photos!

Due to my back issues, and lack of help with the garden from my kids, I decided to do a raised bed garden.  This way I can tend to weeds and pick the produce myself and no bending or stooping is required.  I already had most of the supplies (railroad ties, cinder blocks, planter box recycled from curbside, large pots and several bags of dirt unused from last year.)  I purchased 2 pre-cut pieces of plywood to form the bottom of my raised beds, along with more bags of dirt.

I planted Beefsteak Tomato plants in the raised bed area of the cinder blocks, and in the large planters (ran out of room, lol!).  I also planted 2 Kohlrabi plants in the raised bed area of the cinder blocks and 2 in the large orange planter.  I planted 4 varieties of peppers (A sweet Italian Red Pepper variety, Banana Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers and Green Bell Peppers), and 4 Roma  Tomato plants in the planter box.  I planted Basil plants in the openings of the cinder blocks.  Basil aids in pest control for the tomato plants.  And besides, no one can ever have too much Basil.  Lol!


I still haven't planted my Petunias.  I hope to get to them soon.  I need to purchase more dirt.

So how's your garden growing?


Lola's Victory Garden ©2009-2010

3 comments:

Auntie E said...

Not growing tamed.. everything is al-natural....Lol. With the broken arm, I 'm not able to do things and the Family...well I have a teen need I say more! Yours sound like a smart garden. I love raised beds for more than one reason. Animals and the back braking work. Blackberries are in. maybe I will get some before the animals eat them all.

Unknown said...

I love raised beds - I'm not able to get down on my knees or I look like I'm 95 years old (I'm 41! and feel like I'm 95). With fibromyalgia it's really tough to do much in the best position. I've wanted to do something like this for a while.

You know, a rubbermaid storage box would work to raise it up to waist level. Use bricks under it to support it maybe in like 4 rows. Punch holes in the base for drainage. Hmmm - thanks for the idea!

Tina "The Book Lady"
http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

When would it work to set up a fall garden? It has been extremely hot this summer here in Nebraska. I'd love to have fresh tomatoes & lettuce. Is it to late to plant in September?